Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You're Not Here (I'm a Widow For Now)


There is a quiet space in my soul
It calls your hands to me
And you climb down my legs and down
Between my toes
I feel this intense yearning
But you’re not here
Not because I don’t feel you but because
You really are not here-
The clock on my wall does seem to count--
Look I remember you 
In my body… clearly

So I hang upside down
just to allow the blood
Which is you
To travel up (or down) my throat
My stomach is empty and I feel…
Lost for a moment.
Where are you! My mind screams
And like a flash
Of thought
Of you
Appear this you I know

And you walk into this dark room
And with your toes you dig in
then you check my strings
Making sure they are still strong?
(since born from a scorn I was)
I feel you
But I know you are not here

-My shoulders have carried this face
For so long that even now
I’m grateful to have it

And blood rushes into my eyes
And I see that my dreams are nothing like yours
You are awake somewhere, not here

You are possibly crying or holding yourself so tightly
That I feel it, but you’re not here

My stomach is empty
god! you’re not here
To feed me or give me water

I pull and yank the strings that have held me
Ever so far from the ground
And I finally fall
Yes, all my pieces fall so hard that 
my left elbow brakes
And my face, which has for so many years
Protected me, as much as harmed me
Finally finds peace on the ground
And the finger imprints you left goes
And this peace takes over me 
You’re not here

So if you’re not here could it be that
What was will never be 
Or what will be will be
Like you, I don’t know
I’m a widow for now.

1 comment: